When filling out your LinkedIn profile, it's important to know how much room you have to fill in! LinkedIn tells you when you have hit your character limit but until you get to that point, how do you know how far you have to write? Each field is different and has it's own character limits. When I say character, I mean each letter or punctuation mark... NOT WORDS!
Here are the character counts for each field in the LinkedIn Profile.
- Company Name: 100 maximum characters.
- Professional Headline: 120 character limit.
- Summary: 2,000 character limit.
- Website Anchor Text: 30 maximum characters.
- Website URL: 256 maximum characters.
- Position Title:: 100 characters.
- Position Description: 200 minimum and 2000 maximum characters.
- Interests:: 1,000 Characters
- Phone number: 25 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
- IM (Instant message): 25 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
- Address: 1000 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
- Skills: You may add up to 25 skills using 61 characters per skill.
- LinkedIn Status Update: You can use up to 700 characters unless you want to update your Twitter status at the same time. Twitter® updates are limited to 140 characters. If you go over the 140-character limit, only the first 140 characters will be visible on Twitter.
I absolutely recommend using up as much space as possible! Of course, on the other hand, I do not suggest you fill stuff in just to fill it in. Be smart about it! If you have something to say, say it! Be genuine and honest. Don't go overboard just to go overboard. Remember, it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
And just in case you want an easy way to test for character limits, here's your very own Character Count!