The LinkedIn questions keep coming! This LinkedIn question comes from a woman who purchased my book, LinkedIn Makeover: Professional Secrets to a POWERFUL LinkedIn Profile. Her issue is a common one. Many people mistakenly create duplicate accounts on LinkedIn and can’t figure out how to get rid of them. If you have duplicate LinkedIn accounts, breath easy… you are in good company! Here are the steps to take to get rid of your duplicate LinkedIn profile!
I have your wonderful book and I’m eager to update and improve my LinkedIn profile.
But, I’m having a terrible time with customer service. It seems I have duplicate accts and it has generated some significant problems for me.
Customer service will not respond. It has been a week since my initial inquiry plus a phone message.
By chance, do you have a direct contact name at the company who could be of assistance to clear this up?
I am sorry to hear about your LinkedIn customer support issues. LinkedIn is rather infamous for their poor support to non-paying customers. If you haven’t, I’d suggest paying for one of their premium services. I just recently found that you can still sign up for the very affordable Personal Plan that is less than 100 a year. Once you pay for their service, they are usually much more responsive and helpful.
However, before you lay out any cash, here is my solution for deleting the duplicate accounts:
- Log in to your main LinkedIn account
- Locate your duplicate account via search. Looking at the results for your name, if you see a You icon, that’s your current account. A profile containing your information that doesn’t have a You icon is a duplicate account.
- Click Add to Network to add this account to your network.
- Check your inbox. Look for an email notification of this connection request.
- When you find the notification, check to see what email address it was sent to.
- Log out of your main account and log in using this other email address and choose Forgot Password.
- Check your inbox. Look for an email to reset you password and follow the directions.
- Log in to the duplicate account with your new password.
- Write down any connections within this duplicate account that are missing from your main account.
- Copy and paste any profile information that you want to save from the duplicate account to your main account.
- Click your name in the right hand corner > Settings > Account > Close Account.
Deleting a Duplicate LinkedIn Account
If you do not have access to that email address associated with your duplicate account, you are at the mercy of LinkedIn technical support. Here is the link to have LinkedIn support delete the duplicate LinkedIn Account.
I hope this helps!
If you have any LinkedIn questions… email them to me! I would be happy to answer them!
Want to Brand Yourself?Access my LinkedIn Headline Generator
Think about it... your LinkedIn headline is the FIRST THING people see of your LinkedIn profile AND it should compel them to read more! My LinkedIn Headline Generator is an online application that helps you create a POWERFUL, keyword-packed LinkedIn Headline! Choose your terms and in seconds you have an engaging, professional LinkedIn Headline that impresses!