October 14, 2011
Question: A client insists that they never created a LinkedIn profile yet they have one that appears in search engine results with a link like… https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=12345678
Not sure how this could happen (other than your contacts uploading your information upon their LinkedIn registration).
The question is: how do you contact LinkedIn to request that this information be removed seeing as you don’t have an account with them? Your insight is much appreciated! –Natasha
Answer: Hi Natasha! I often hear from people who INSIST they never created a LinkedIn profile yet there one sits with their name on it. Most likely what occurred is that the person received an invitation to join LinkedIn from a friend/relative/colleague. The link in the invite was clicked and the person inadvertently created a LinkedIn account. They may not even be aware of it!
My suggestion is to first attempt to close the account without getting LinkedIn involved. Here are the steps:
1. Attempt to log in to LinkedIn using your typical email address and password. If you can’t get in, choose Forgot Password. If you get an alert that the email address is incorrect, keep trying with alternate email addresses you use.
2. Check your inbox. Look for an email to reset your password and follow the directions. If you were not able to get in with an email address, you will have to contact LinkedIn… skip to Part 2.
3. Log in to the account with your new password.
4. Click your name in the right hand corner > Settings > Account > Close Account.
VOILA! That extraneous account is gone!
If all else fails, contact LinkedIn. I have heard horror stories about LinkedIn customer support. It seems if you aren’t a paying member they aren’t very helpful. In order to get this LinkedIn profile removed in the quickest possible way, I suggest reporting the LinkedIn profile as being inappropriate.
1. Visit the “ghost” profile and click the down arrow next to the button Send a Message or Send InMail in the top section of the member’s profile.
2. If the Flag icon isn’t visible, contact LinkedIn with the following information:
3. Hopefully within a reasonable time, the profile will disappear.
I wish you the best of luck! Let me know how it goes.
Access my LinkedIn Headline Generator app to boost your brand and achieve higher placement in LinkedIn Search results. Your profile will get more views and you will collide with amazing opportunities! All it takes is a couple of clicks and in seconds you have an engaging, professional LinkedIn Headline that impresses. It's fast, easy, and completely free.Instant Access
I LOVE LinkedIn! But I am not endorsed by or affiliated with LinkedIn in any way whatsoever.
There is NO relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by LinkedIn with this Website.
Absolutely NO content has been authorized by or represents the views or opinions of LinkedIn or LinkedIn personnel.
LinkedIn Makeover is simply a description of a service I provide. My company is called Vision Board Media.
Input your search keywords and press Enter.