April 29, 2016
I often get questions from people regarding LinkedIn. When I feel the question is shared by others, I post it here on my blog for all to read.
Should my actual resume be linked to my LinkedIn profile?
There are some “experts” who say that you should upload your resume to your LinkedIn profile.
I don’t agree.
You want your LinkedIn profile to be the hook that gets people to request your resume. That way, you have control and can determine who gets to see it. Your resume contains your complete career trajectory and you don’t want just anyone able to download it. There are nefarious people out there looking to steal identities and such.
Recruiters love it when a resume is attached to your profile– this way they can read it without ever contacting you and they can immediately dismiss you without ever talking to you. You want recruiters and hiring managers and HR people to contact you so you can show them you are a real person– you can ask questions and make a great impression while engaging in human contact.
However, if you do decide to upload your resume to your LinkedIn profile, consider removing your home address and any other confidential information you aren’t comfortable sharing with the whole wide world.
Although we don’t recommend doing this, here’s how:
1. Get into your LinkedIn profile. (Profile > Edit Profile)
2. Move your cursor over the section you want to add your resume and click the Add Media icon in the upper right-hand corner. I suggest your summary section or your most current experience.
3. Select Upload a file if you’d like to display your resume on your profile OR type in a website to link to your resume if it exists on another site.
4. If you chose to upload your resume, select the file from your desktop. A picture of your content will display with pre-filled Title and Description fields.
5. Click Save. An update may appear on the homepages of your network, letting others know you added a media file or link.
And there you have it! Uploading your resume to your LinkedIn profile is a cinch but you really must think long and hard as to whether you want this information public.
Dear reader, what do you think? Do you have your resume uploaded to your LinkedIn profile? If so, tell me in the comments, just scroll down!
Access my LinkedIn Headline Generator app to boost your brand and achieve higher placement in LinkedIn Search results. Your profile will get more views and you will collide with amazing opportunities! All it takes is a couple of clicks and in seconds you have an engaging, professional LinkedIn Headline that impresses. It's fast, easy, and completely free.Instant Access
I LOVE LinkedIn! But I am not endorsed by or affiliated with LinkedIn in any way whatsoever.
There is NO relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by LinkedIn with this Website.
Absolutely NO content has been authorized by or represents the views or opinions of LinkedIn or LinkedIn personnel.
LinkedIn Makeover is simply a description of a service I provide. My company is called Vision Board Media.
Input your search keywords and press Enter.