I received another question, this time from a past client of mine. We optimized his profile a few months ago and as he had expected might happen, he was let go just yesterday. Here is his email and my response…
I unfortunately have been given notice by my company, and I am negotiating severance. Can you do me a favor and give me a couple tips and ideas on how and when to update my profile. Obviously, there are a lot of contacts I have in the industry and personal.
Take a couple days to breath and then when you are back and balanced, roll up your sleeves and get started. Here is a list of things you can do.
- Put an end date on your current experience and add to your headline something like “Looking to positively impact a new organization”
- Change your summary to reflect that “the good news is I am looking for my next opportunity. Contact me and we can discuss how I can help your company grow“
- Once that’s done, start networking. Call your contacts, let them know you are looking. If that makes you queasy, email them inside LinkedIn.
- Start connecting with recruiters. (How? Do an advanced keyword search for YOUR industry and then refine it by choosing Staffing and Recruiting for industry) Add those recruiters who specialize in your industry to your network and include a note telling them that you are interested in new opportunities and to check out your profile.
- Start updating your LinkedIn Status… this is a great way to stay on top of your connections’ minds.
- Investigate the Jobs section of LinkedIn. Take some time to play in LinkedIn Answers and Groups.
Remember, when one door closes, another opens! I have been laid off numerous times and each time something better was waiting for me. You will be fine!
Your profile is already optimized but it might be a good idea for us to go through and do a
LinkedIn Makeover Update to make sure all the last bits are included and your profile is positioned for job search.
Want to Brand Yourself?Access my LinkedIn Headline Generator
Think about it... your LinkedIn headline is the FIRST THING people see of your LinkedIn profile AND it should compel them to read more! My LinkedIn Headline Generator is an online application that helps you create a POWERFUL, keyword-packed LinkedIn Headline! Choose your terms and in seconds you have an engaging, professional LinkedIn Headline that impresses!